Saturday, February 06, 2010

Request: Renae - ...And hell follows (EP)


I discovered Springfield, Illinois outfit Renae in 2008 when they released their second EP called 'The coward, the storm and the outlaw' of which they sold not less than 4000 copies, which got them signed on Hotfoot Records at the end of last year. With the release of their third EP '...And hell follows' (maybe they don't like full-lengths?), I've been contacted to give my opinion on the band's label debut.

As I was reading informations about the band, I found out that this new EP was entirely recorded live in the studio, which is something I love that bands do. Few bands can allow themselves to do it, but it really captures the real energy I appreciate in this kind of music. It is true for Renae, which rawness is a main component of the songs. This is not how this record starts, however, as 'Conquest' opens on a Saves The Day's 'Under the boards' dark guitar atmosphere. The tempo quickly changes though, and after a minute come the first metalcore screams which, if I am not a fan of the genre, I have to admit sound more like a good old Poison The Well than a shitty The Devil Wears Prada. This song basically showcases what singer Stephen Rosborough is capable to offer, his clean vocals (in the vein of The Dear Hunter's Casey Crescenzo) being more interesting than its screams in my opinion. The chorus reminds me of Thrice's 'The weight', which is not a bad thing at all. What strikes the most is the blend of influences executed during the songs. 'War' starts off as a basic brutal and guttural metal song before turning into a more technical and atmospheric instrumentation, even including unexpected gang vocals, which makes us think Cave In must be one of the band's favorite acts. The guitar playing on 'Famine' is a good example of the band's musicianship, with complex notes that would please The Fall Of Troy fans. 'Pestilence' is the softest song, slow-paced and intriguing, almost sounding like an intro to closer 'Death' and its big choirs, an attempt to finish the EP with an epic ending. Just like the whole record, it is interesting without being impressive.

'...And hell follows' is not Renae's best offering but is interesting in the way the band is now blending different styles to obtain more unexpected and experimental compositions. They got heavier as well and I am not a fan of the guttural screams but the genre's aficionados will get something out of it. It'd be interesting for the band to try the experience of a full-length, to see if they can duplicate this energy and creativity on a larger amount of time.

3/5

Recommanded if you like:
The Receiving End Of Sirens, Thrice, Poison The Well
Check also:
Eagle Scout, Lions Lions, Beast From Sea

www.myspace.com/renae
(Hotfoot Records, 2009)

2 comments:

  1. - agree. I want to see what Renae can do with a full length.
    This is a band that has the potential to develope into something phenominal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would give it more than 3/5, but that's because I'm into some of the screaming. I don't venture near bands like The Devil Wears Prada though. Yikes.
    This EP just screams amazing to me. Hahh
    A full length album from them would definitely soar towards the top my list.

    ReplyDelete