Saturday, February 06, 2010

Manchester Orchestra & Kevin Devine - I could be the only one (Digital split EP)


Friend bands covering each other's songs is always an interesting concept. Labelmates and long-time close friends Manchester Orchestra and Kevin Devine decided to try the experience with the digital release of 'I could be the only one'.

You guessed it from its name, the songs chosen are Kevin Devine's 'I could be with anyone' and Manchester Orchestra's 'The only one'. Both took a laid-back approach to make their cover, Andy Hull's incredible voice making the cover of 'I could be with anyone' much more depressing than the original, only accompanied by an acoustic guitar and putting aside the pop sensibility of the song. But unlike we would expect, he didn't really make it an acoustic Manchester Orchestra song. The result is very soft, in the form of a ballad that Hull's side-project Right Away, Great Captain! would compose. The "lalalala" 's on the bridge are a bit out of place in my opinion but overall, his contribution sweats sincerity and beauty. Devine's cover of 'The only one' is even more surprising. He obviously slowed the pace down but didn't make it an acoustic version of a raw rock tune. He gave it an upbeat electronic backbone that, when added to his atmospherical vocals, makes the cover get a totally different, airy and sweet, look. He went as far as changing the second line of the original song, "I am the only son of a pastor I know / Who does the things I do" being changed into "I am the only son of an officer I know / Who does the things I do" to make it suit him.

A well-executed split, interesting on both sides, Kevin Devine taking more risks without necessarily topping the quality of the original in my opinion. It's pleasing to see two incredibly talented artists loving each other's music just as much as we do.

3.5/5

Nb.: You can stream the EP here.

Recommanded if you like:
Brand New, Colour Revolt, Cassino
Check also:
Right Away, Great Captain!, John Nolan, All Get Out

No comments:

Post a Comment