Sunday, November 01, 2009

We Came As Romans - To plant a seed


Debut full-length produced by Joey Sturgis (The Devil Wears Prada, Emarosa, Attack Attack!). I think it says it all. Not my genre, so four tracks were enough. Typical metalcore screams and breakdowns infused with synth and poppy vocals (and very annoying Autotune). Some instruments added (piano, violins...). It sounds just like all this new generation of melodic metalcore bands, so you'll love it if you're into it. Immature and cliche songwriting in my opinion, with mediocre breakdowns and generic song constructions.

2/5

Recommanded if you like:
I See Stars, Attack Attack!, In Fear And Faith
Check also:
Of Mice & Men, Asking Alexandria, Of Machines

www.myspace.com/wecameasromans
(Equal Vision, 2009)

3 comments:

  1. While I will not argue that this is a heavily saturated genre, I do believe that this band is a cut above the rest. The fact that EVR signed them says something. Every other band in there genre (other than TDWP) is on Rise or worse.

    WCAR's songwriting is actually quite original, even if their canvas isn't. I enjoy listening to them even though I despise the likes of Attack Attack!, et al. WCAR's lyrics are much more meaningful than that of their peers. They sing about actually treating people with compassion and love, but without pushing any religious agenda.

    TL;DR - This band may make music similar Attack Attack! and I See Stars, but they should not be associated with them. WCAR is the best in the genre.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just can't get into it, the clean vocals are atrocious to me and the breakdowns so unoriginal and predictable. Sounds cliche to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Most serious reviewers would at least give an album a full listen... But I guess that goes with the territory when you aim for a review every day.

    ReplyDelete