Sunday, December 06, 2009

30 Seconds To Mars - This is war


I could have done a much more argued and detailled review. But I don't even want to. Why would I bother myself with writing about a record that already bothered me enough when I listened to it?

It's no news Jared Leto is full of himself. Those who have seen the guy live will understand me even better. But whereas his music was average and dull, it wasn't full of pretention. Until now. Him and his bandmates took it to another level with their third album. A level of epicness. Of disgust epicness. With 'This is war', they pass themselves off as new wave, indus, dramatic, cold, epic, but this record's universe is made of pulpboard, for a band in papier-mache. Just like their last video for the Angels & Airwaves-like 'Kings and queens', it claims to be big, great, huge, gigantic, but it's small, it's tiny. Behind the tall walls of sophisticated aesthetic, there is absolutely nothing. It's empty. It's full of emptiness. The lyrics are ridiculously fake, either pretending to be messianic ('Vox populi') or made of faux rebellion that doesn't fit the guy that pronounces them ('Stranger in a strange land'). Leto's voice has reached another level on the pathetic scale, often whiny and always breathy. The intro sounds like a parody. It's not only his singing's fault, there's also the choirs' case. There are so much it makes me want to throw up. Poor Tibetans requisitioned. They already bothered China for their video of 'From yesterday'... I can't wait for their next show at North Korea's biggest stadium. Cause if you missed the transition, 30 Seconds To Mars now play arena-rock! They wish very hard they were My Chemical Romance or Green Day, but they're just grotesque and grandiloquent. The production, executed by big rock names Flood and Steve Lillywhite (U2, Depeche Mode, Nine Inch Nails...), is dull and really affected the band's sound. 'Vox populi' rips off Queen's 'We will rock you' tempo and U2's riffs at the same time, whereas the horrendeous 'Hurrican' stuck "It's too laaaaaate to apologize" into my head. As if their songs weren't bad enough, they had to remind me of other ones that are not theirs. Jared Leto claims to be at war, but the only thing he is fighting against that I can figure out are my eardrums.

This record is a pain. Such a pain. It's like a 'Braveheart' that would last six hours. Or a 'Gladiator' with three times more cliches. It lays it on thick. It drips. It's sickly. I wouldn't be that harsh if the music wasn't this pompous, obnoxious and pretentious, if 30 Seconds To Mars didn't put that much on airs. I hold no grudge against this band. They are not worse than loathsome acts as Brokencyde that today's scene offers, they're way better, but the blissful attention and admiration their huge fanbase have for them piss me off. There are so many better bands that see things through to the end, not falling into the fake, the easiness, the expected. This may be war, but I'm definitely not in 30 Seconds To Mars's camp.

2/5

Recommanded if you like:
Angels & Airwaves, Kill Hannah, Breaking Benjamin
Check also:
Dead By Sunrise, LostAlone, Trading Yesterday

www.myspace.com/thirtysecondstomars
(Virgin Records, 2009)

6 comments:

  1. thanks for a wonderful review of this CD. I can't seem to get rid of my copy...I threw it in the trash, but the trash threw it back at me!....
    30stm knows us, but just for a reminder.... they (and anyone else) can get a free copy of something worth listening to at our link!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your review was less about the album than it was about you trying to show off you vocabulary but hey, each to their own opinion I guess... As for The Album... I love it and cannot wait to see them perform the tracks live in Arenas throughout the UK and Europe

    ReplyDelete
  3. How harsh u are ! No 30STM isn't the best band ever, yes its fanbase is composed of young girls blinded by Leto's appearance. I won't neither judge Leto's ego on his album nor the quality of the lyrics (we don't listen 30STM for their lyrics)... BUT this cd has the pretention to be epic and we have to say that it reached its goal(even you acknowledged it). The album is overproduced and it appears unrealistic in its performance (how could a three-piece band could perform this music?) but it is still pleasant (above all the first songs as usual). I would add that it appears less commercial than their second effort, the album seems more homogeneous, tracks are not formated for radio.. Thus this is not the album of the year, but still, I'll continue to listen to it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm really not trying to show off my vocabulary as I make enough effort for my English to be DECENT haha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you, this album is really disappointing, it misses the energy of the previous one.
    But please stop trying to showw off your vocabulary :P

    ReplyDelete